The Dwarf in China - A portrait of a street performer


In this blog I write about the making of my first documentary - The Dwarf in China; Stories about why & how I became a documentary maker and stories about why & how I'm making this specific film. Also some background info on the people that will be in the movie and eventually of course a trailer and some deleted scenes. I recommend reading it in chronological order, so either click on the image above and scroll to the bottom post, or use the Blog Archive on the right. Enjoy!

Wednesday 30 October 2013

Claim to fame

I figured it is time to tell you a little bit about myself and how I got into the business of film making. This is by no means an ordinary story, so enjoy!

After dropping out of university for the second time, I decided it was time to follow my dream and try something else:

I was going to be famous!  The whole world would love me unconditionally and I would get lots and lots of girls. People would chant my name in the streets whilst smiling and crying tears of joy, because they'd caught a glimpse of me in real life. "Ben Reisman! Ben Reisman! We love you!! One picture...please!! Oh thank you, you're my hero!"

Ok, maybe I got carried away a bit, but to be honest I came pretty close. Because on the 17th of August in the year 2007 I became the first and - as far as I know - only Dutch Office Chair Racing Champion in the history of man kind! Quite an achievement and of course my defining moment up until today. :)
If you're interested to see how it went watch the video below. (If you're short on time: the good stuff starts around 3:10 - also make sure you watch the intro)




You can imagine how proud my parents must have been....
I was able to experience this unprecedented heroic moment because I was part of a talent program at a dutch broadcasting company called BNN. Here we learnt how to make television for a young audience and one of the formats we came up with was that I had to become Dutch champion in something...in anything really.
To achieve this goal I participated in all different kinds of weird championships. Also worth mentioning is my proud third place in the Dutch Championships Air Guitar where I performed Red Hot Chili Peppers in a packed Paradiso. I've uploaded all the episodes on my youtube-account for those interested.

Paradiso
Me playing air guitar
























As you can imagine I really had a blast and besides that I learnt a lot about making television.
But of course as happens to most people I got older and with that much more boring. Besides, I got way too fat for the orange leotard. I decided I wanted to make stuff that really meant something.  The dream of becoming famous was replaced by the dream of becoming a documentary maker...


....and famous :)


No comments:

Post a Comment